Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Party Day!

This has been a tiring week!  And the sad part is, it's been a normal week...so I don't know why I'm so tired.  I come home everyday and take a nap for 45 minutes to an hour.  I think some of it has to do with the fact that I am not working out.  I may not have lost any weight, but I definitely had more energy!  Ugh...and, because of my ankle, I have another excuse not to go!! Yay, me!   I might as well just throw $33 in the trash each month.

**Pity party over**

Today, 3rd and 4th graders took a "mock" STAAR in Language Arts and Math.  I chose to handle mine a different way.  (These were teacher created and not required by the district.)  One of my team members compiled the 4th grade copy.  Instead of giving the test like a "mock" exam, I'm going to break it into pieces over three of four days.

My theory behind this is that my quarters are burnt out! Period.  They just finished the STAAR Writing test.  And now it seems like we are doing nothing but drill, drill, drill.  My ELLs seem to stress out and get anxious.  I understand why 3rd grade did the practice...they haven't tested since the benchmark.  I also understand Math in 4th, to an extent.  It's a good idea, I just don't think it's worth it for my quarters...at least not in the way intended.  After my quarters finish the test next week, I'm going to disaggregate the data and see where we stand.  Then I'm only going to focus on the areas we need severe help in.

Of course, life has a way of biting me in the a@@,  so I may regret my choice when the STAAR rolls around.  But I guess this is the year to make mistakes...

**Grumpy pants party over**

Always,


3 comments:

  1. No, I don't think it will bite you in the butt, I agree...I hate torturing them with too much crazy test prep....ugh so hard to find the balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lori. Too much test prep is counter-productive. Hang in there!
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both! It's nice to know there are others out there that feel this way about test prep! If I'm bored teaching it, imagine what students feel like practicing it day after day after day...

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete